Pure Heart God's Abode
Empowering the girl child to become good, just and dynamic leader; and transforming her to excel as the new Eve to build a new era.
To help sharpen their critical thinking and evaluative capabilities to face the challenges of life.
To develop in the students positive dispositions, habits and attitudes that make them persons with human maturity and sound values and ethos.
To realize the maxim: "Educate a girl and you educate the future"
"Education of girls and empowerment of women" being one of its primary objectives, Sisters of the Congregation of Immaculate Conception embarked upon a novel project to establish a School meant exclusively for the education of girls in the city of Madurai, most especially for those girls who hail from the poorer and the weaker sections of society.Thus, Nirmala Girls’ Middle School was born on 25 June 1954 with "Pure Heart God’s Abode" as its motto. At its humble inception in 1954, it had 55 students on its rolls with 5 teachers as academic staff. Growing from strength to strength, year after year, in every aspect pertinent to imparting holistic education, the School saw itself being elevated to the rank of a Higher Secondary School in 1978. The School today stands tall because of its noteworthy recognition by most as one of the best schools in the metropolitan city - engaged in ennobling and empowering of girl children, especially those from the poor families -through academic education and wholesome formation.
The hard work put in by our staff and students over the years have paid rich dividends as the results indicate.
- In 1960, the School secured 100% pass results in S.S.L.C. Examination. It was conferred with Gandhi Seva Award.
- In 1962, Jegathamabal of our School created history in the annals of the School by scoring 472/500 marks in the S.S.L.C. Examinations and by becoming the topper in the State.
- In 1989, M. Rangelin Begum obtained 6th rank at the State level in the Higher Secondary Examinations.
- Once again our school’s name was carved in Golden letters when Ms. Rajathy, a student of ours, stood first in Economics at the State level in the Higher Secondary Examinations in 1993. She received Rs. 3000/- cash Award from Mr. Ponnusamy, the Education Minister. Rajeshwari, another student of ours,stood first in Madurai District securing 193/200 marks in English.
- 1997 was a year of abundant blessings from the Lord for the ceaseless efforts put in by our teachers and students. While T.C. Kuppumani, our student, by securing 199/200 marks in History in the Higher Secondary Examinations stood first in the State, Hyrun Subaira with her score of 168/200 marks in Advanced Tamil stood Second in the State.
- In 2004, B. Janani, a Class X student of our school, scored 493/500 marks in the Public Examinations and procured the second rank in the State. She received a cash award of Rs.2500/- from Mr. Rajendran, District Collector.
- In 2006, B.Karpagavalli of our School added one more golden feather to our School’s academic cap by securing the second rank in the State in Geography in the Higher Secondary Examinations with 194/200 marks. B. Janani scored 1144/1200 marks in the same examinations and stood at second position in the whole of Madurai District.
- In 2007, Yazhmozhi came second in the District by obtaining 1166/1200 marks in the Higher Secondary Examinations.
- In 2009, Thenmozhi secured 490/500 marks in High School Examinations and occupied the second position in academic performance in the entire Madurai District. She was presented a cash award of Rs.5000/- by Mr. M.K. Stalin, the former Deputy Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- In 2013, S. Rehana Fathima, a visually challenged girl student, had the singular distinction of securing the first rank in the District scoring 453/500 marks in the High School Examinations. She received a cash award of Rs 5000/- from Nethrodaya, Chennai.
- The year 2015 turned out to be a praiseworthy year in the annals of the history of our School as M. Divya and A. Aruna secured 198/200 marks and 197/200 marks respectively in Geography in the Higher Secondary Examinations and stood at the top two positions in the State. They received a cash award of Rs. 5000/- each from Mr. A. Subramanian,the District collector. In the same year, S. Rehna, the Visually Challenged girl, once again brought laurels to the School by securing 1095/1200 marks this time in the Higher Secondary Examinations and received an award of Rs. 10000/- from Nethrodaya, Chennai.
- The year 2017 became a year of recognition for the outstanding academic excellence of some of our students: U. Anitha of Class XII and S. Sakthi Priya of Class X received Rs. 20,000 and Rs. 10,000 respectively under the Kamarajar Award given by the Govt. of Tamil Nadu at the District level.
- 2018 – 2019 added the golden feather, securing 100% result in std XI & XII.
Sports and Games Achievements
- On 25 February 1994, our School was adjudged as the ‘Best school in Sports’by the Inspectors of Physical Education.
- In 1998, it won the ‘Best School in Games’from theRegional Inspector of Physical Education.
- In 1999, Amirtham, our student, won the First place at the National level Karate Competitions held at Thichy.
- In the year 2000, Santhanalakshmi won the first prize in the shotput game, Relay and Running Race at the State level, organized at Thichy.
- In 2004, Teena Monisha won Gold Medals at the National level Running Race and Long Jump.
- In 2001, Jothi, a Physically Challenged student won third prize in the State level shot put competition conducted at Chennai.
- In 2002, Santhanalakshmi under whose leadership the School team defeated the Chandigarh team in the Sub Junior Basket Ball Competition was congratulated by Jeyalalitha, the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
- At the National level Athletic Race held at Harihar in 2004,Teena Monisha, our golden girl, placed our School on the National Athlectics map by winning yet another Gold Medal.
- The Nirmala School’s sports competence and training received an international recognition bringing accolades to the School when E.Lakshmi Prabha won not one but five Gold Medals at the International Fencing Competition held in Singapore in 2008. Incidentally, she was the first student from Tamil Nadu to have participated in such a competition.
- In 2009, P. Abirami participated in the VI National Cadet Fencing Championship organized by the Maharashtra Government in Kalyan, Maharashtra. She was selected at the event to participate in the International Fencing Championship.
- In 2011, K. Loga Nayagi of Class XI participated in the Malaysia - Indo Karate Championship held at Komplex, Malaysia and secured the 2ndplace and was awarded a Silver Medal.
- M. Divya Bharathi and B. Lalitha won the third prize at the State level swimming championship held at MGR Ground Madurai in 2018.
- Since 2009, the School Handball and Basketball teams were winners at the Divisional level and runners-up at the State level. They have been winning the Over-all Championship successively at the Zonal, District and Divisional Sports Meets.
Excellence in Extra Curricular Activities
Our school is firmly committed to helping students unearth and develop their creative talents and potentialities lying latent. We believe that every child who enters our campus is precious and therefore maximal opportunities must be given her for an overall development. To this end, diverse competitions are held to unlock and advance their developmental potentials and skills. Fine Arts Day is celebrated annually and the students are encouraged to participate in the Inter, as well as,Intra School Competitions. Glimpses of the School’s achievements in this respect are as follows:
- In the Jawaharlal Nehru Science Exhibition held at St. Mary’s Higher Secondary School, Dindigul from 6th to 10thJanuary, 1993, our School won the First Prize in the Biology Division.
- In the 26th State level Science Exhibition was held in our School from 02.01.2001 – 06.01.2001. Our School got the Second Prize for the scholarly explanation of "Spirulina", the Natural Protein Food.
- In 2000, Our School Exhibit was chosen as the best from among the 50 Exhibits at the National level Exhibit competition held in Goa.
- In 2001, our school won an award for "solar still" production at the Jawaharlal Nehru memorial Exhibition.
- M. Saravana Priya and M. Ambika were selected as the Young Scientists in the Science competition organized by the Tamilnadu State level Science and Technical Association on 3 June 2003.
- M. Mahalakshmi won the first prize for her innovative product at a Science Exhibition organized by Noorul Islam Technical Institute Kumarakovil in 2004.
- Our School excelled in Art and Literary competitions as well! The school procured the first prize in "Kalai Illakiya Vizha" for 17 times and turned a record break.
- Subalasri of Class X was named "The best numismatist" by the "Dinamalar" Daily for her collection of outdated terracotta lamps.
- In 2010, M. Hemapriya of Class XI won 5 Gold medals in the "Seventh State Level Yoga Competition" held at Madurai.
- In the State level Bharathi Dasan poems Recitation Competition held on 30 August 2003 at Madurai, Sowmya Lakshmi won the First place and received a cash prize of Rs 3000/- from Murasoli Trust.